ROOIBOS TEARooibos tea, also known as red bush tea, has been consumed in Africa for years. Traditionally it is enjoyed with a little milk, however many people around the world enjoy it without milk as well. You'll find it all over the globe, and is commonly served up as a detoxifying tea at spas in Asia. Rooibos is abundant in antioxidants called polyphenols. The tea is naturally caffeine-free and is ideal as substitute for tea drinkers who traditionally drink black tea. Rooibos contains alpha hydroxy acid and zince which both support healthy skin. It is also full of vitamins and trace minerals.
What rooibos tea related food item was served at the wedding of Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas?
- According to the South African Rooibos Council they served Rooibos flavored ice-cream.
What is the best thing about red rooibos?
- It is naturally caffeine free and a great source of antioxidants. In fact, aspalathin is the most active antioxidant in rooibos and it is not found anywhere else in nature.
- This trendy drink is made with red rooibos brewed in an espresso machine. The red latte is also popular as a twist on its coffee counterpart.
What is the difference between green rooibos and red rooibos?
- Red rooibos is harvested, cut and sprayed with water. The damp leaves are then allowed to ferment for 12 hours before being spread out and dried in the sun. This process gives it its distinctive amber hue and characteristic taste. Green rooibos is unfermented and is simply harvested, cut and then dried immediately. When served it has a lighter color and milder taste compared to the red rooibos tea.
Have any studies been conducted as to how much rooibos tea should be consumed every day?
- Studies are still being conducted as to the health benefits of rooibos tea. According to the South African Rooibos Council, a 2008 clinical trial conducted by Professor Jeanine Marnewick at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology showed that six cups of Rooibos per day holds definite health benefits, and specifically helps to reduce oxidative stress in the body and lower the risk of heart disease. The six cups of Rooibos should be spaced throughout the day to deliver optimum health benefits.*
What is the best way to enjoy rooibos tea?
- Rooibos tea can be enjoyed with or without sweeteners and with or without milk. It can be served hot or as an iced tea. There is no evidence that this will affect the health benefits of the rooibos tea.
These statements have not been approved by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose or treat any conditions. Please always follow your doctor's advice for any medical treatments.